Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Rockpools

I've never been much of a beach person.  Give me a river anyday but I'm not much of a swimmer, and I'm not especially fond of sand...
Having a "beach house" in the family has been somewhat of a novelty and it has meant that I am having to get used to a lot more sand and surf than I am used to.  Despite the fact that Aldinga has a beautiful swimming beach, it is the rockpools that I am coming to love best.  The light down there on dusk, or mid morning, is just gorgeous and my children can run amok safely without me fretting about them drowning or being run over.  Dan likes to hunt for crabs.  Maddie runs after the sea gulls, calling to them in their own language "arka, arka, arka!!!"  Hannah explores among the rocks.  I hunt for shells.

Shells have always been one of my favourite things about the beach.
What about you?  Do you like the beach?

1 comment:

Karen Middleton said...

I used to love the beach as a child. It was a novelty as we lived in the country, far away from the coast. However, in my adult life, I've come to loath the beach - the hot sun, the hot sand that finds it's way into everything and that horrible salty water. Yuck! But I must say, there is something special about watching your own children enjoying the beach.